Open Book: Career/College Advices I give My Brother

1:16 AM



My career life hasn’t even started yet here I am throwing life advice to my brother, Gab. He’s Grade 11 now meaning on the next school year he’ll be in Grade 12 which is the year you take entrance exams to college. So this summer is a pivotal moment to set the foundation of your future.



I know that I’m probably overthinking and over-preparing but I would like to give my brother an edge as early as this summer. I wouldn’t force him into a career he doesn’t like but I asked him what he would like to do in the future so that I could help him with the direction he wants.

Before that I asked him if he would like to enroll in review centers for entrance exams as I did the summer before my 4th year in highschool. He didn’t want to and I accepted that and told myself to convince him in another time but then I asked him what he would like to do in the future. He said graphic design/videography.

Then the most brilliant idea popped into my head: if he would like to be a summer apprentice to Zel’s boyfriend, Gelo, since he is a professional videographer. I thought it was perfect and they would get along seeing that they somewhat have the same interests.  



So I pitched it to Zel and she thought it was a great idea. So now we’re planning and scheduling his classes and I could see it in Gab’s face that he’s a little excited just masking it with his NBD face.

He’d be learning how to edit videos, take proper videos/photos, tips in shoots, and etc. I’m so excited for him to soak up Gelo’s knowledge, I really think that he’ll learn a lot and it will help him in the future.

So I’ve sat down with my brother and told him some career advices I’ve learned so far in my life:

1.      Study for the entrance exams. You may think it’s pointless and dragging but it really set the tone for me and laid down what to expect in a college entrance exam. So even when you don’t pick up anything it will give you a mindset to be ready for battle.

2.     Gear up on extracurriculars. If you’d haven’t joined a club in your highschool, do some volunteering work or have extracurricular hobbies that are in line with your chosen career path. It’s helpful to have answers that are not ‘watching TV’ to the question, “What are your hobbies?”

3.     In college, join an org. I wasn’t an active member in my org nor did I try to enter other orgs during my stay in college. I’ve always thought that they eat up too much of my time. But it could be really helpful making connections and having a life outside academics but still within the college.

4.      If not an org, apply for an internship. It doesn’t matter if you’re not required yet, you could still apply. You need to gain as much experience as you could so that when the real internships roll in it’s not overwhelming.

5.      Stay in line with your priorities. With so much extracurriculars, it could distract you from school and think that school is no big deal. You need to pass that class to get that diploma so submit requirements on time, show up to class, and study for tests.

6.     Have fun. The reason why I did all of these was because I enjoyed it and I was surrounded with an empowering group of friends who had the same agenda as mine. So while we’re studying up and completing internships, we also gave time for ourselves to have a break. Remember that these are the last days for you to be young. This is the median between student and professional, so while building up your career also goof off a little.

Much love,


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe