Soul Searching Alone In The Mountains

5:36 AM


That's right folks, your baby girl Kleona just went on a 2D1N trip to the mountains alone. Not only that, she did it on her 22nd birthday. A queen. 

I was so tired of planning trips with friends and for these trips to remain as plans, so like what most boomers say, "If you'd like to do it right, do it yourself." So I made it my mission to go on a solo trip somewhere on my birthday weekend. Coincidentally, my birthday did fall on a weekend. 

Searching for a destination was hard. I first thought of La Union, since it's the destination I was talking about na palagi na lang plano. But I was still hoping to go there with friends, so I'm setting that destination aside. Then, I thought of going to Dingalan, Aurora. I even considered joining a tour group. But I felt like it was all too much of a jump for me. 

Then, I saw this Instagram post of @_cocoy / Nicole Lim in Northern Blossom Flower Farm, Atok. It was beautiful. It was a field of different colorful flowers. Truly, a wonder. Plus, I didn't know anybody who has gone there before so that's great. 

If you didn't know I've been to Baguio countless times, usually once a year since I was like 6. So I know the main tourist attractions of Baguio like the back of my hand. I explored Baguio alone for an afternoon earlier this year, so I had a taste of Baguio solitude for a while. Atok is 2 hours away from Baguio and I've been to Atok highest point two times so it's a kinda familiar place. 

Which comes to the conclusion that this will be my first solo trip destination. 

Let's just jump right into my itinerary! 

Day 1

I'm REALLY good at planning like for reals good. But what I couldn't control was the weather and my health. Google weather said that it would be very thunderstorm-y in the days I'd be staying in Baguio and Atok which is why I prayed SO HARD na hindi bumagyo.

Also, I was sick with the flu. So all throughout my trip, my companion was a roll of tissue.


1AM - 2AM: Angkas, Condo to Victory Liner Pasay

2AM - 7:30AM: Victory Liner Bus - Pasay to Baguio

Cost: 501PHP Terminal booking



Pro Tip: When booking Victory Liner bus tickets, book online a week before your travel dates. I booked 6 days before which had led me to miss my opportunity to online book my November 9 bus to Baguio. But, I online booked my bus back to Manila. 

I had to go to Pasay terminal to get an advance booking for my Baguio bus. Please, by all means, don't be a chance passenger.

Pro Tip:  Have a heavy breakfast before boarding the bus. I boarded the bus around 2AM and I don't have the appetite to eat anything. But as soon as the bus went off, I was craving a McDo burger and fries. Stop-over food wasn't that appetizing for me as well. I just had Skyflakes crackers to get me through my trip. 

7:30AM - 8:00AM: Taxi to Dangwa Bus Terminal

Cost: 80PHP

If the driver asks what bus are you taking, just say Sagada.

8AM: Buy tickets to Brgy. Sayangan, Atok

Cost: 85PHP

I bought a 7/11 hot choco by this time to warm my stomach. I also had 30mins to go to my hostel and leave my bags and go back to the terminal. I walked from the terminal to the hostel because it's just less than a kilometer away. What I didn't expect was, the road was uphill. So basically, I was out of breath when I got to the hostel. I took a taxi back to the terminal and made it just in time. 

8:30AM - 10:30AM: Bus ride to Atok, Benguet

The bus was NOT air-conditioned, because the climate is cold already, we're not looking for hypothermia victims. Around me, the passengers were either locals, insta-ready millennials, legit travelers, and foreign backpackers. I actually overheard some of the youngsters asking where to get off to go to Northen Blossom Flower Farm. Nice, I'm not the only one going there. 

10:30AM: Register at Tourism Office

Cost: 20PHP

Like a good tourist, I had to register and pay the tourism fee at the Atok municipal hall. 

11AM - 12:30PM: Start of tour Northern Blossom Flower Farm

Cost: 250PHP



I expected the entrance fee to be 300PHP kasi sabi online they will increase their prices but it turns out they went back to 250PHP. How lucky diba. When you get there, you'll register and be assigned to a tour guide. My tour guide was a young boy named Boyboy. 

You get to put on some rain boots because the area is quite muddy. Boyboy will be your tour guide and personal photographer, ACTUALLY REALLY HANDY FOR SOLO TRAVELERS. 



He knows the right angles and the names of the flowers and why they are named so. According to him, Northern Blossom Flower Farm was a private garden before it was a mega tourist attraction. They delivered flowers to Dangwa markets, but now they just grow their beautiful flowers for the aesthetic of vsco girls. 

Boyboy knows what the right angles are to get that winning shot. He tells you to crouch down, point your hand to the left, and do the flower pose. The demanding ~energy~ (lol)




After the tour, you'll have free coffee and a cookie at their cafe. The cafe is quaint, airy, and very tita. Each table has a flower vase with flowers that are fresh from the farm. This is the area where I was catching my breath so hard the property dogs were looking at me funny. Oh yes, did I mention that the farm is on a terraces-like structure? No? You don't feel it going down, but YOU WILL FEEL IT WHEN THE TOUR ENDS.



12:30PM - 1PM: Lunch at Marosan's Restaurant

Cost: 60PHP


Asking around where's the station I can ride back to Baguio, locals told me there are vans to Baguio at Marosan's Restaurant. Since I haven't had a decent meal all day, I ate afritada at Marosan's. 

1:30PM - 3:30PM: Van ride to Baguio

Cost: 120PHP

There were vans in front of the restaurant hailing passengers. I ate hurriedly as to board the vans as soon as possible. I paid, went inside the van. When I asked, is this van going to Baguio. THE DRIVER and PASSENGERS looked at me weirdly and started talking to me in Ilokano. W H A T 

They were telling me where to go and I couldn't understand them. I alight the van and asked for directions BUT EVERYBODY WAS TALKING TO ME IN ILOKANO AND LAUGHING AT ME.

So I sat down on a bench and waited. Later on, I realized I think I just boarded a private tour van headed north of Atok. whoops.

Pro Tip: Look for the sign La Trinidad in vans. There are no vans going to Baguio, La Trinidad is your best choice. La Trinidad is not that far from Baguio, it's where the strawberry farm is. You can ride a taxi to Baguio from the Van terminal. 


3:30PM - 4PM: Taxi to 3BU Hostel

Cost: 135PHP

Was so tired and felt so sick after all that, so I had to take a taxi to the hostel because I just wanted to lie down. 


4PM - 5:30PM: Check-in/Rest

Cost: 800PHP

Checked in the hostel, settled in, and fixed my stuff. They even had a toiletry bag for me with a towel, shampoo, soap, toothbrush, and AND ANDDDD A ROLL OF TISSUE. god bless. 


5:30PM - 7:30PM: Massage at Romanelle Spa

Cost: 1,050PHP

Yes po opo nagpa-massage po tayo. My body was aching and all I wanted was a massage. So I searched good 'ol trusty Google Maps for the nearest spa. And am I not the luckiest gal in town? There was a spa just across the hostel. LITERALLY 2min walk. 

I debated whether I should get a full body massage, a body scrub, or both? After consulting with my lifestyle consultant (LOL hi zel), I went in and got both! Because why the hell not it was my birthday.


The spa was a nice house with a Japanese restaurant in it and on the other side was the spa. it wasn't Nuat Thai feels but more of a massage at your friend's nice house feels. 


7:30PM - 9:30PM: Dinner at J's Liquid Black

Cost: 150PHP

J's Liquid Black is the rooftop cafe of 3BU hostel. After going to the spa, I wasn't going to go outside and eat somewhere. So, I changed into my pajamas and went upstairs. 

What I forgot was, the cafe was open to the public. So, I was literally in my PJs while other people were dining. I couldn't care less, I was comfy. 


I ordered pesto pasta for 150PHP, and the serving was like for a group! So much pasta!! I was also watching the latest Timothee Chalamet film, The King. 


Day 1 Itinerary + Cost Breakdown


Day 2

Woke up at 9:30am because I AM THE BOSS. There are no parents and titas to tell me to wake up at 6am and go sightseeing. I was doing my vacation at my own pace and time. 

9:30AM - 10:30AM: Breakfast

Cost: 0PHP

Went upstairs to read a book and have complementary breakfast. Ended up just reading a book because the complementary breakfast was a hoax. Turns out, they don't offer free breakfast despite what it says in the website's Terms and Conditions.

So I went back to my pod and ate leftover pesto pasta while watching Daybreak.

10:30AM - 12PM: Get ready

The shower I went into had very low pressure and the temperature wasn't stable. I was either bathing in icy cold or scalding hot water. 

12PM - 12:30PM: Check-out

Check out was a breeze. They even let me leave my bag at the front office again, so that I can freely loiter in Baguio.

12:30PM - 1:30PM: Lunch at Ili-Likha Artists Village

Cost: 50PHP


Since I wasn't really feeling that hungry, I just had orange-infused tablea hot choco at one of the cafes in the artists village. The village was designed by the artist Kidlat Tahimik. His mind works wonders because your eyes will always wander. Every corner of that place is random quirky art. I was even sitting at a rocking chair.


1:30PM - 3PM: Shopping

Cost: 835PHP

When in Baguio. One of my favorite things to do in Baguio is going ukay. Went to the ukay near Pizza Volante in Session Road. I got a dress, a sweater, a turtleneck sweater, and a loose white sweater for my roommate.


Bought a slice of my favorite cake too, Vizco's strawberry shortcake! I wanted one for the road :) Got pasalubong for my fam and officemates too. Got crinkles, lengua de gato, and of course, sundot kulangot :P 

The souvenir store was actually near a Victory Liner terminal, not the terminal I was meant to go to but they offered a shuttle to my designated terminal. So I went in.

3PM - 4:15PM: Panicking to board the bus

Cost: 535PHP Online booking

Arrived at the right Victory Liner station early, so I went to get my tickets by claiming it at the counter. The line wasn't long at all. BUT THE LADY HANDLING THE BOOTH WAS TAKING SO LONG. I don't know what she was doing!! All you have to do was surrender your voucher and they give you a ticket. THAT'S ALL! It took forever.

I had to rush back to the hostel and get my bags and go back to the terminal. Spoiler alert: I made it on time.


Pro Tip: Claim your return tickets once you arrive in Baguio, so that you won't be in a rush to board the bus.

4:15PM - 10PM: Victory Liner Bus - Baguio to Cubao

Had a lot of time reflecting on my trip back. I didn't even get off at stopovers because I made sure to drink Neozep drowsy pills, so that I can be numb or sleepy during the way back. 

10PM - 11PM: Angkas, Victory Liner Cubao to House

Cost: 100PHP

Immediately booked an Angkas once I got off the bus because I just wanted to sleep in a bed.

Day 2 Itinerary + Cost Breakdown


Overall, the trip was a success! Almost everything went right and I learned a lot from the trip. Actually planning my next one! Any suggestions? ;)


Much Love,
Sophia

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe